- Makes 4
- Level Easy
- Prep Time 10 mins
- Cook Time 15 mins
- Suitable for Vegans Vegetarians
Tofu, Quinoa and Peanut Butter Vegan Burger
This is a real winner. It’s got a great burger texture and big flavours.
For convenience use Merchant Gourmet’s pre-cooked quinoa or similar, but you could easily knock up some quinoa at home if you have time.
Served with smashed avocado, sweet red pepper and cucumber slaw, the burger goes great with sweet potato fries. You can make the burgers in the time it takes to cook the fries in the oven.
- 4 burger buns
- 400g of Tofu (1 average pack)
- 100g cooked quinoa (half a pack of Merchant Gourmet pre-cooked or 50g uncooked)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (or cashew butter)
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos, tamari or soy sauce
- 1 lime for zest
- splash of olive or rapeseed oil
For the Toppings
- 1 red pepper
- 2 avocados
- half a cucumber
- 1 lime
- sea salt
- black pepper
- cheese (optional)
- chilli sauce
How to Make It
- Take the tofu out of the packet and then either using a clean tea towel or just your hands, squeeze as much moisture out as you can. A few good squeezes should be enough. This is important for the texture!
- Put the tofu in a large bowl and break it up into small pieces with your hands. Keep doing this until you have a mince-like texture. The smaller the lumps, the better it’s going to hold together.
- Add the quinoa and mix.
- Add the peanut (or cashew) butter and mix again. This is going to bind the mixture together.
- Add the cocnumt aminos, tamari or soy sauce and mix it in well.
- Grate the zest of a lime and add to the mixture.
- Now you’re ready to make the burger patties. Grab a big handful of the mixture and shape into burgers. There should be enough for 4 large ones.
- Chop your red pepper into 4 large chunks.
- Put a large non-stick frying pan on a medium heat and add a glug of cooking oil. Place your burger patties in with the red pepper chunks. The burgers will need about 2 minutes each side.
- Halve and peel the avocados and mash with a fork. You can add some lime juice if you like.
- Grate the cucumber and mix in a bowl with the juice of half a lime.
- Your burgers are ready when they’ve got a lovely golden crust on both sides. The red peppers should be a bit charred too.
- Place the patty in a bun and top with avocado, red pepper and some of the zesty cucumber slaw. If you prefer, you could also add some (vegan) cheese.
- Whack on a drizzle of your favourite chilli sauce to finish.