- Serves 6
- Level Easy
- Prep Time 30 mins
- Cook Time 40 mins
- Suitable for Vegetarians
Fabulously Fruity Summer Berry Bread Pudding
A summer berry bread pudding is the perfect way to use up leftover bread and fruit that’s on the verge of being a tad too soft. This wonderfully fruity recipe is a twist on the winter classic, Bread and Butter pudding.
Traditionally made with raisins and sultanas, this version is more like a hybrid between Bread and Butter and Summer Pudding.
It’s a family friendly dessert that’s easy to make. A great way to satisfy your sweet tooth while using up leftovers. Delicious!
- 1 old loaf of sliced white bread
- 300ml double cream
- 300ml milk
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 free range egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Fruit Sauce
- 300g raspberries, whole
- 300g strawberries, halved
- 150g caster sugar
- 100ml apple juice
- Handful of strawberries, raspberries or other summer fruit
- Greek yoghurt
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 180oC. Tear each slice of bread in half to form triangle shapes. If you prefer you can cut the bread but tearing gives a more rustic texture.
- In a large bowl combine the double cream, milk, caster sugar, egg and vanilla. Whisk until the sugar has dissolved. This is your cream custard.
- Add the bread pieces to the cream custard and leave to soak for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, turn to ensure the bread is well coated and has evenly absorbed the mixture.
- Meanwhile, add the raspberries and halved strawberries to a medium bowl with the apple juice and sugar. Leave to macerate until soft; the sugar will draw out the moisture from the fruit and make a fruit sauce.
- Butter an ovenproof dish and carefully add a single layer of the soaked bread to the bottom, being careful not to break up the soft slices. Overlap each piece of bread to ensure the base of the dish is well covered. Cover the base layer of bread with the fruit sauce and then top with the remaining bread. Pour over any unabsorbed cream custard, filling in the gaps between the bread.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes at 180oC until bubbling and bread turns golden brown. Dust with icing sugar and serve with a handful of summer fruits and a dollop of Greek yoghurt. Enjoy!