- Serves 2
- Level Intermediate
- Cook Time 15 mins
- Suitable for Dairy Free Gluten Free
Buffalo Worm, Peanut and Vanilla Praline
This candy is fantastic on its own as a quick treat but can also be enjoyed with ice cream and other desserts.
Praline is best stored in between baking paper and kept in a container as it is fragile and sticky; it can also be frozen for a later date.
If you have a nut allergy, this recipe works well without the peanuts.
- 200g caster (superfine) sugar
- 100ml water
- ½ vanilla pod (bean) or 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 10g buffalo worms
- 40g peanuts, crushed or roughly chopped
How to Make It
- First, line an oven tray with parchment paper. Melt the sugar and water in a saucepan over a medium heat, stirring regularly until the sugar has dissolved.
- Split the vanilla pod in half lengthways and scrape the seeds out with the back of your knife and add these to the pan. Continue to heat until the sugar begins to caramelise, about 4–5 minutes. It’s ready when it turns toffee brown and thickens. Keep your eyes on the bubbling mixture as it will turn black and be inedible if it’s overcooked. I’ve seen many a chef burn his praline! Trust me, it’s not very tasty.
- Take off the heat and quickly stir in the buffalo worms and peanuts. Pour this straight onto the tray and spread out as thinly as possible using the back of a wooden spoon. Allow to cool in the fridge. The praline should set after 30 minutes.
- Bash it with a rolling pin to break into bite-sized pieces.