- Serves 2
- Level Easy
- Prep Time 20 mins
- Suitable for Vegetarians
My Big Fat Warm Greek Salad
This roast vegetable salad is a hybrid of Greek salad and Fattoush salad, which is a Middle Eastern bread salad, traditionally made with pita. This warm version uses cooked red onion, courgette and tomatoes which are gently tumbled together with crisped tortillas shards, fresh dill and a slab of oregano baked feta. Release your inner Greek!
- 30g pitted black olives
- 1 courgette
- 1 tsp Italian dried oregano
- 1 red onion
- 1 tsp lemony sumac
- 6 white tortilla wraps
- 15g caper buds
- 5g fresh dill
- 200g traditional feta cheese
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tomatoes
- Olive oil
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 200oC. Add the tortillas to a baking tray. Drizzle them with olive oil and season them with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Put the tray in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until they're golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut the red onions into wedges, then separate the wedges into petals. Top, tail and slide the courgette. Cut the tomatoes into wedges.
- Next, add the tomato wedges to a separate baking tray with the feta. Sprinkle the tomato and feta with the dried oregano and drizzle them both with olive oil. Put the tray in the oven for 8-10 minutes until the tomato and the feta are hot to touch.
- Heat a large, wide-based pan, with a matching lid, with a drizzle of olive oil over a high heat. Once hot, add the red onion petals with a pinch of salt and a small splash of water, cover with a lid and cook for 3-4 minutes or until they're beginning to soften.
- Once cook, add the sliced courgette to the onion and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked but retaining a slight bite.
- Meanwhile, chop the black olives and capers together roughly and add them to a large mixing bowl. Add the red wine vinegar and 2 tbsp olive oil with a generous pinch of salt and pepper and sugar – this is your Greek dressing. Pick the dill leaves from their stalks and tear them apart.
- Break the crispy tortillas shards into rough uneven pieces. Remove the warmed feta and tomato wedges from the oven and leave the feta to cool for 3-4 minutes to stop it from falling apart. Add the cooked courgette, onion, tortilla shards, tomato wedges and dill leaves to the Greek dressing and give everything a good mix.
- Serve the baked feta over the warm Greek salad. Garnish with sumac and enjoy!